I'm currently "in-between" jobs in Australia and spending a great deal of time in the kitchen. We have been hitting up the farmer's markets and last week got a giant bag of sweet potato's for $2. (I should probably mention it was actually my boyfriend's parents who got them while we were at the beach... haha). So I went onto Pinterest earlier this week and searched for anything with sweet potatoes... I found lots of great stuff but I wanted something healthy so I chose to make the hummus.
There were tons of great recipes so I used a combination of a few of them. Hummus is great because you start with a can of chickpeas and then add pretty much anything you like! Garlic, lemon and tahini seem to be a good base with the chickpeas and then add anything else! I'm hoping to try a few more varieties next week too!
- 1 can chickpeas (15oz)
- 1 roasted sweet potato
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (roasted)
- 1 tablespoon of tahini
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder (I used Madras Curry Powder)
- dash of cayenne pepper
- salt/pepper to taste
- Crushed cashews for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Place 1 sweet potato on cooking sheet and bake for 45 minutes or until tender. You can also roast the garlic at this time.
- Let sweet potato cool and then peel off skin and cut into pieces.
- Place all ingredients (except water) into food processor and mix on low.
- Slowly add the water a little bit at a time until it is the consistency you want.
- Add crushed cashews for garnish.
- Store in fridge for up to 5 days.